E118 – Undervalued Assets: Invest Where Others Aren’t For Impact and Income – Arlan Hamilton
- Look where nobody else is looking (there is huge value in the “forgotten” or underrepresented)
- Get in the field and start doing the work, don’t just sit on the sidelines
- Stay the course
- Mentorship doesn’t have to be in-person, find it through books, podcasts, and other digital resources
- It’s About Damn Time – Arlan Hamilton (https://amzn.to/3fTVxuQ)
- Venture Deals – Brad Feld (https://amzn.to/2yQHSnV)
- The Memo – Minda Harts (https://amzn.to/2yZt7z3)
- Writes “headlines” for herself
- Reads and researches her markets
- Disconnects at 6pm / stops working to maintain balance
Arlan Hamilton built a venture capital fund from the ground up, while homeless. She is the Founder and Managing Partner of Backstage Capital, a fund that is dedicated to minimizing funding disparities in tech by investing. Started from scratch in 2015, Backstage has now raised more than $10 million and invested in more than 130 startup companies led by underestimated founders.
In words of Mark Cuban – “Arlan’s story speaks to all the would-be entrepreneurs and dreamers out there. “Those of us who are different can rule the business world and no one can stop us.”
Arlan’s purpose is impact. That’s it. She is truly devoted to the helping the underserved achieve the “impossible” and changing the world for the better.
Read the Transcript Here